Texas State Assessments
Texas' student assessment program is designed to measure the extent to which a student has learned and is able to apply the defined knowledge and skills at each tested grade or course level. The State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) assessments are:
- Grade 3 - Reading and Mathematics (English and Spanish)
- Grade 4 - Reading, Mathematics, and Writing (English and Spanish)
- Grade 5 - Reading, Mathematics, and Science (English and Spanish)
- Grade 6 - Reading and Mathematics (English and Spanish)
- Grade 7 - Reading, Mathematics, and Science (English and Spanish)
- Grade 8 - Reading, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies
- End-of-Course (EOC) - Algebra I, English I, English II, Biology and U.S. History
An alternative assessment based on alternative academic achievement standards designed for students with significant cognitive disabilities who meet the participation requirements for the same grades and subjects above.
Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System (TELPAS)
This testing system consists of reading tests and holistically rated assessments of listening, speaking, reading (K-12) and writing. TELPAS is designed to assess the progress that Limited English Proficiency (LEP) students make in learning the English language.
Credit by Examination
State Board of Examination rules require school districts to offer Examinations for Acceleratioon to students who wish to test for advancement to the next grade level or receive credit for a high school course for which he or she has had no prior instruction. For more information contact your school counselor or click the link below.